Should I get pretty ones? Are they easily removed? Are they heavy? Do they do up easily?
Do they get wet? etc.
I have slowly narrowed in on the bags I like. Firstly, I liked this, the Basil Blossom Twig.
But in the end, I decided that:
- It seemed like it only had one pocket a side so they would be a bit deep and cavernous (35 L capacity for the double pannier). I decided it would make it hard to find things.
- My husband, Mr Aggy, was unlikely to take the bike down to the shops as they were too girly.
- I read a couple of reviews on these that mentioned than these was that they can also cause you to hit your heels when cycling.
So next I looked at bags that had the slightly rounded edge on the side towards the heel.
I decided I really liked this one - the Basil Jada Tour:
But, it is ENORMOUS. It has the following dimensions 34 cm x 17 cm x 34 cm (LxWxH) and carries 40 L. Too big L.
Further research revealed that there is a smaller version 32x12x32 (LxWxH) 26 L, which would be great,- but the only site that seemed to sell it was in the Netherlands and the shipping costs were horrendous.
So back to the internet. I had really decided a few things by now:
- I liked the look of the Basil Jada style in Marble Grey. Not too floral, but girly enough.
- The bag had to be hard to remove, as I wanted them to stay on the bike permanently. This ruled out the Basil shopper - it attached by hooks and is supposed to be taken into the shops. (Good review here: http://modalmom.com/pedal-pefect-the-basil-jada-shopper-xl/ )
- I did not want a bag with a single opening, I wanted pockets.
- I didn't want a really big bag.
I found a good review, with pic, on the Basil Jada double pannier.(http://raveandreview.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/04/basil-stylish-bicycle-bags-review-and-giveaway.html )
Lots of pockets, dimensions 36cm x 15 cm x 30 cm (35 L). (I'm a little bit worried about the 15 cm dimension - will it stick out too far?)
Anyway, a quick look around and Pushy's had a good price $75.99 plus $15 shipping. A quick ask if Mr Aggy needed anything, and voila, we are over $100 and free shipping.